2 weeks, 4 days ago
Wow, only four weeks to go until THE DISCWORLD GRAND TOUR! There's a lot of information below, so please take the time to read through it all! We'll try to be as brief as possible.
Hurry! Time's almost up!
- Gala Dinner Ticket Sales close TODAY, FRIDAY JULY 7th. So if you want to attend the biggest of balls, buy your ticket today.
- Wine Tour Ticket Sales close TODAY, FRIDAY JULY 7th. So if you enjoy a good fermented grape, buy your ticket today.
- Gourmet Tour: We have two seats available for tickets to be on-sold. However, you need to get in contact with us TODAY if you want them
- Preorder amazing Discworld books, miniatures and character busts from Trollwood to pick up at the convention by SUNDAY JULY 9th. Don't miss out on this very special offer!
- Supporting Membership Upgrades must be done by July 21st. We know there's quite a few supporting members still out there, and we'd love to assume that you're all going to upgrade and attend. HOWEVER, If you're unable to do so, contact us now to on-sell your ticket as there's still a handful of people on the waiting list who'd love to come if you can't.
- If you want to enter the Vaudeville Le Maskerade in the Talent, Cosplay or Costume Swish and Twirl categories, please send in your entry forms ahead of the convention by August 2nd. If you don't do so, we can't guarantee you'll be allowed to take part.
Help your fellow tourists!
We are still looking for volunteers to help in the following areas:
- Sitting at desks - Registration and Ops. No experience necessary, and you'll be told what you need to know when you get there. You just have to be friendly and helpful!
- Selling Souvenirs at the Club Table. Retail or financial experience useful but not essential!
- The Watch, a.k.a. Security. Helping keep the convention areas safe for all tourists, and helping with queue management.
- Games Teachers: Can you teach The Witches, Clacks, Thud, Love Letter, Pairs, Ticket to Ride or Werewolf? We need volunteers to help with the Learn to Play sessions.
- Stamping Passports: Be an official passport stamper for our scavenger-hunt style challenge!
- Vloggers: Want to film parts of the convention on your phone, and share it with everyone on social media? Please get in contact! (You're welcome to do this even without volunteering)
- Tech Crew: Can you help run sound mixers or microphones, or even just get a computer to talk to a projector?
- Gophering: This is just general running around and being helpful - anyone can do this, and if you're unsure about any other roles, this is one you can put your hand up for.
For all of the above, please fill in this form ASAP! You'll get a shiny badge and a certificate and lots of thanks from your exhausted tour guides.
There's No Business Like Tour Show Business!
We have a great number of performances happening throughout the convention, so we thought we'd highlight a few of them here!
- Matt Falloon and his Trained Balloons will be sure to delight young and old with his show featuring inflated bladders! Also learn a bit of how the magic is done at the Balloon Twisting workshop.
- Special Guest Martin Pearson will regale you with amusing folk and parody songs, including, of course, The Hedgehog Song. Also help Martin write a special convention song at his Parody Song Writing workshops!
- Unseen Theatre Company, who've produced Discworld plays in Adelaide for more than 15 years, will be doing a moved script reading of "The Trials", in a special once-only performance at the convention.
- Hot For Joe will perform the special secret ritual of the Dark Morris, and also give you the basics of Morris Dancing at the Dark Morris Workshop.
In addition to the above special guests, many of your fellow tour guides and tourists will perform in the following sessions:
- Nanny Ogg's Travel Logg
- Songs of Praise
- Bedtime Stories
- The Great Debate
Want to know more about these performances? Read all about them here!
We are very fortunate to have famed Cosplay iconographer Steamkittens joining us for a very special photo shoot on the Saturday afternoon of the convention. Between 4 and 7pm, you can have your photo taken in your brilliant Maskerade costume or your Gala Dinner finery... or even in your classic Twoflower tourist shirt! In the meantime, check out all the amazing cosplay photos on Steamkittens' Facebook Page.
Sundry Bits and Pieces
That's all from the Lonely Turtle Travel Agency this week! Always remember you are welcome to start discussions in our Facebook Group and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.